- PhD in Applied Linguistics, Lancaster University (2010)
- MRes in Applied Linguistics (Distinction), Lancaster University (2008)
- Master of Professional Studies in Language Teaching (Distinction), University of Auckland (2004)
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry with German (Honours), University of Aberdeen (1997)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) – UK HE professional recognition (http://www.heacademy.ac.uk)
- Cambridge RSA Certificate for English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA) (1999).
- Qualified examiner for IELTS (International English Language Testing System) – speaking and writing exams (2005-2007).
- Level 1&2 Japanese Language Proficiency Test (2003)
- Level 2 JETRO Business Japanese Proficiency Test (2002)